Saturday, June 12, 2010

Quotes: In The Reign of Terror

Every now and then I get the urge to go all over the top and 18th Century in my pictures. And here we have some of the results. 



These first two were done over a month apart. The heroic couple on the right were very loosely based on a photo of Clark Gable and Jean Harlow, and originally started out being a 40s Noir couple – however, my hand (or something) obviously had other ideas, and they morphed into c.1740s. 

The sketch on the left was done the other night. I had been reading G A Henty's In The Reign of Terror: The Adventures of a Westminster Boy and decided to do some sketching based around bits of it – and chose this blank page because the two would, I thought, suit fairly well together. For my first sketch from this book, I chose the soppy 'declaration of love before we all die' moment. It was a good excuse to be dramatic and draw lots of people, which I tend not to do, and I try and stretch myself in my sketchbooks. No refs, and done pretty quickly.

"We may not succeed; an accident may betray us. At anyrate, dear, we shall live or die together."
"I am content," Jeanne said quietly.
"You know, Jeanne," Harry said, putting his hands on the girl's shoulders, "That I love you; I should never have told you do until I got you home if it hadn't been for this. But though I never said it, you know I love you."


And this quote I chose because it amused me, and I like to sketch from quotes that make me laugh – that way I remember them. This is full of flaws – again, no refs. (except for the clothes. I'm not in the habit of drawing fashions among the poorish during the French Revolution =P)

"Could I not take Victor's place and help you to seize Marat? I am not strong, you know; but I could hold I knife, and tell him I would kill him if he cried out. I don't think I could, you know, but he wouldn't know that."

And now I've done with that book – time to move onto something else, I think. =)

And finally, a dash of colour – a speedpaint I did of a section of the couple above; I was bored. =P


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...