Saturday, October 23, 2010

Sketch: Foxgloves

My friend Makenzi and I have decided to do stories and sketches, turn and turn about (in that one time I send her a sketch, and she has to write for it, and then she sends me some writing, and I have to sketch for it) to practice our drawing/writing on demand skills, and get in practice for things we might not normally think of drawing/writing. 

So, here is our first attempt. Sketch by me, inspired by watching a gardening program and hearing 'foxgloves' mentioned. I sent the sketch to Makenzi, giving her free reign as to what to write (I don't think I even told her why I had suddenly thought of the image in the first place), and she came up with a story to go with it.


Here's an excerpt of Makenzi's story:

"You look awful anxious," Isabella said, leaning against the edge of the table and sipping at her own cup.

"Oh, it ain't nothin'," Mary said. "I mean, I'm sure if it was you, you wouldn't be anxious at all."

"Afraid my brother ain't goin' to ask you to dance?" Mary ducked her head in embarrassment. "I don't mind, you know. You ain't the only one who's sweet on him."

"He sure is handsome, ain't he?" Mary breathed. She saw Isabella's expression and laughed. "What else are these dances for but for lookin' at boys? Ain't you sweet on anyone, Isabella?"

Isabella shook her head vehemently. "No."

Surprised, Mary wheedled, "There ain't no one you think's just a 
little handsome?"

Isabella's eyes drifted without thinking to the son of the saloon owner, and then snapped back to Mary. "No one," she said sharply. "And that ain't a bad thing, either, for what's the use of fixin' my cap at a handsome fella just to get my heart broke?" She shook her head. "Ain't no use, Mary. I talk too much. Anyone'll tell you that right off. I like to do what I like to do. What fox wants a vixen like that?"

To read the whole thing (and you should!), you'll just have to go over here to her blog. Enjoy! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...