Monday, August 12, 2013

Illustrations: Baby Cards

Here are a couple of pictures I did for some baby cards. My cousin has just had her first baby, a gorgeous little girl called Mary, so I did a design for a card for her, and then one in the same vein to congratulate the new grandparents.

I wanted something a bit retro, so I looked to 50s artists, especially Retta Scott's Golden Book version of Disney's Cinderella. I used some sort of pastelly live brush in Photoshop to get the chalky texture. 


This card used the 1805 version of 'Rock-a-bye Baby' on the front and inside.

Rock-a-bye baby
Your cradle is green
Father's a nobleman
Mother's a Queen

Which seemed a bit less confronting than the usual version, especially for very new first-time parents! 

The Grandparents card was a bit of an afterthought. My mother wouldn't let me use the same illustration, and I had a lot of work on, so to speed things up I swiped the pram from some baby shower invitations I did last year and drew over that with my chalky brush, and altered the face of my original baby a bit. 


Adobe Photoshop CS6 with a Wacom Intuos 3. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...