Saturday, April 11, 2015

Watercolour: King Arthur

I was watching a documentary on King Arthur, so when it came time to whip up a quick picture for Colour Collective on twitter, I went with him as my theme. The colour this week was Burnt Umber, which I thought worked quite well for a dark ages watercolour sketch. 

According to the documentary, King Arthur was probably Romano-British, not Saxon... but I hadn't got that far into the documentary when I did the sketch, so this is a Saxon King Arthur. ^.~


This is almost entirely done in burnt umber. I used a bit of burnt sienna, rose dorĂ© and permanent mauve in the skin, and added some shadows in sienna and vandyke brown, with the accents in raw umber and indian red. But most of what you can see is definitely burnt umber. 

Here is my original sketch. My pencil lines got a bit obliterated, I probably should have used a harder lead... I don't often do watercolour over pencil, I think I need to experiment a bit more. 


And I added a little metallic gold to it after I had scanned it:


Winsor & Newton watercolours in a Moleskine watercolour sketchbook.
Somewhere between one and two hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...