Monday, May 23, 2011

Illustration: The Little Mermaid

Here's my finished Little Mermaid illustration; She's visiting the Sea Witch (I hope that's clear enough =P)


(Click for a clearer view)

I started this quite some time ago, based on a sketch I did after seeing a programme on the deep sea on tv, and thinking how well an angler fish would work as the Sea Witch.


I think this sketch was done around June or July 2009, but I didn't date it. 
I'd had the idea for a mermaid with a jellyfish lantern for quite some time, so I decided to put the two together. I'd also seen underwater vents in the tv programme (whatever it was) and thought they would make a suitable lair for the witch. I wanted to steer away from the Disney version; Although I love a good Disney film, it's sad to see so many books published which are evidently highly influenced by Disney. There are so many red-haired Little Mermaids, so many short-haired Snow Whites – I prefer to see different versions. 

I started a digital illustration, soon after, but it wasn't high on my list of priorities, and languished on my desktop for quite a while. I picked it up again in November last year, and then again recently, to finish it off. 

Some details:



And here's an animation showing my progress from start to finish:



I usually start with a pencil sketch, but I worked directly on the computer for this image. 

Photoshop CS4 with a Wacom Intuos 3

Previous Posts:

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...