Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Sketch: Margaret Hale

I'm in a classics mood at the moment, and was watching the BBCs North and South yesterday evening – North and South is one of my favourite books, so I did a sketch of Margaret Hale (not as portrayed by Daniella Denby-Ashe; much as I enjoy the miniseries, this is my interpretation of the character in the novel) 


She's inspired by Dante Rosetti's work, but I didn't use a direct reference for anything. I'd like to do Mr Thornton facing her on the other page, but I haven't had time to do that yet. 

0.5 #B mechanical pencil in Moleskine sketchbook

At the moment I have some portraiture commissions to work on, so here's a snap of my desk, which I cleared for portraiture this evening, and a sneak-peek of the current portrait. It's nice to have a 'tidy' desk again, and it's also especially nice to have some work! 


2 comments:

  1. boy can you draw! that's incredible!!!!! I could NEVER be able to draw a character that i see in my mind for a book (much as I'd love to) Wonderful job Alene!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It can take a bit of practice, it's true. I've done a lot of character sketching for a friend who writes (meaning I was not only trying to capture what *I* saw, but also make sure it fit her descriptions) so I've had a lot of practice, notwithstanding those I do for characters in books generally. =P I like to draw characters, I find it very relaxing. =)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...