Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Illustration: A Beach Christmas

This is my Colour Collective from a few weeks ago, which I never got around to posting here. The colour was 'Cadmium Red' and as it was the first week of December I had decided to move away from my Fadeaway girl series and do some Christmas illustrations. 

Of course, a really Christmassy scene would stereotypically involve snow... but not here! Cadmium Red is such a bright, saturated colour that I thought it would be fun to put it in a hot Australian Christmas illustration with lots of other bright saturated colours. The 'snow at Christmas' idea, while lovely, is all-pervasive. Almost all the Christmas cards we have received this year have snow on them in some way. Time to do something different! (Yes, yes I know my cards last year had snow on =P)


Originally there was a boy in there as well, but I ran out of time to finish him off, and just removed his layer entirely... I thought it was better to cut him out than to leave him in, poorly finished. 

I was trying something different with this illustration - It was all done with a chalky brush, with no outlines. Difficult for me, as I usually rely on outlines in my work, but it was fun! I'm inclined to think that people prefer my work with outlines, as my succeeding Colour Collective got over three times the engagements that this one did. What do you think?

Adobe Photoshop CC2015 on a Wacom Cintiq Companion 2
Not sure how long - 4 to 6 hours I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...