Saturday, December 12, 2015

Illustration: Dreaming of a White Christmas

I haven't yet blogged my Colour Collective from the week before (oops), but here is my latest. I decided to go with a more ambitious Christmas theme for my December entries, rather than the fadeaway girls I've been doing for some weeks. And I decided this, obviously, because I don't have enough to do in December *insert slightly crazed laugh here*

This time the colour was 'Myrtle Green' and I was again inspired by a classic song - Irving Berlin's 1940 song White Christmas

However, I'm in Australia, and while we have been having fairly cool weather (it got to 28C today) for December, a white Christmas is not something we will be seeing. (It will probably be stinking hot by then)
Christmas here is hot: 


But that's okay, because the person singing White Christmas is sitting somewhere hot too. I don't think I've ever heard a recorded version of the song that includes the verse (there must be some, surely) but I know it, because I have the sheet music to play on the piano. 

The sun is shining, 
The grass is green, 
The orange and palm trees sway
There's never been such a day, 
In Beverley Hills, L.A.

But it's December the 24th
And I am longing to be 
Up north

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas
Just like the ones I used to know
Where the tree tops glisten
And children listen
To hear sleigh bells in the snow.

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas
With every Christmas card I write.
May your days be merry and bright
and may all your
Christmases be white. 

I ran out of time to do all I wanted to this, and I didn't plan it out properly either. And why? I was busy cleaning and decorating the house in time for Christmas, rather than drawing:


See that music book on the piano? That's the sheet music for the film White Christmas, and that's where I got the above lyrics! The verse lyrics may not show up online, but I promise that they are there!

And I've been greatly honoured this week, as the lovely Penny Neville-Lee chose my illustration to be the Facebook header for the week! 

 

Adobe Photoshop CC2015 on a Wacom Cintiq Companion 2. About 4.5 hours (or, to put it another way, definitely not long enough!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...