Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Imaginary Miniatures

Way back when I did honours in Illustration (2008) I created a picture book. (My topic was 'A Modern Take on the Golden Age of Illustration', so it was a book in the Golden Age style, while attempting to bring in modern aspects of illustrative storytelling).
It could use a bit of a revamp now, but after spending a whole year drawing the characters, I became very attached to them, and every now and then I miss them and get the urge to draw them again.

Practicing miniatures naturally brought them to my mind again, as the endpages of the picture book were a character gallery of miniature portraits (albeit in the sepia linework style common to Golden Age endpapers)


These were done with a dip pen (a mapping one) in brown ink, and then lightened and overlayed on a parchment texture in Photoshop. 

So I thought I'd try more realistic portraits of the main characters, in pencil.


So here we have Katia, Edmund and Adele. 
These are all roughly 5cm in diameter, although they were drawn freehand, so that's not quite exact. 

To see more of them:
Spreads from the picture book:




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...