Sunday, June 5, 2016

Night Time

This week's Colour Collective prompt was 'Ivory Black'. I could have done something in black and white, as my black and white stuff tends to be heavy on the black anyway (last time a black came around in Colour Collective I had just finished Gwendolen and posted that). Myrna's half black anyway, so if I wanted to do a Myrna illustration I'd need a better way to use the black than just on her (which felt a bit like cheating). I had been wanting a dark colour to use with a night-time Myrna illustration, but I'd been thinking more on the lines of dark blue... black would pose a bit of a challenge, but I decided to try it:



Myrna likes to sleep right on top of me - and she weighs 15kg so she's not exactly light.... sometimes I'll wake up in the morning and she's snoring (she's a champion-level snorer) on top of me – but I haven't noticed her sneak up from 'her' place at the foot of the bed. I don't know how she does it! 


This was a very dark picture, so I gave Myrna one open eye - a little pop of bright white to draw attention to the illustrative part of the canvas and focus everything a bit. All the colours used in this are really dark, approaching black. I always find it fascinating how a colour can look relatively bright when against black, but super-dark when against white. I've done all the colour theory stuff, and I know why - but isn't the world an interesting thing?

Adobe Photoshop CC2015 on a Wacom Cintiq Companion 2
About 2 to 2.5 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...