Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Illustration: Dream

A quick watercolour sketch of Fred Astaire and Leslie Caron in Daddy Long Legs. Apparently one either loves or hates that film, and I love it. It's sweet. ^.^
I've had screenshots of various movements in this (very pretty) dance printed out for years, waiting for me to get the time to turn them into a whole progression illustration... but that hasn't happened yet. So I did this last night. 


For those that are interested, this is the final dance in the film, to Dream (When You're Feelin' Blue) – and is based on a screenshot of almost the last frame. The screenshot is from the hips up, so I improvised the bottom. And I'm quite pleased with the result; I'll have to see if what other dances I can come up with that have black dresses, and make myself a little series. (Musicals-obsessed? Me? Never!) A bit of splashy watercolour is relaxing when you've been doing detail work for hours. 

Admittedly, this looks a little better scanned, the ink is a bit shiny (but so fabulously black!)

Winsor and Newton watercolours, Artline Drawing System pens and Atelier Waterproof Drawing Ink (Carbon Black) in a Moleskine Watercolour Sketchbook.
A little under 2 hours in total. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...