Saturday, August 8, 2015

Illustration: Moonlight Serenade

The Colour Collective theme this week was 'champagne', which instantly made me think of the peroxide blonde hairstyles of the 1930s. 


Originally I had planned to draw a couple, with a man in a black tuxedo to contrast the champagne colour.... but there has been a virus going around, and despite my best efforts I managed to catch it... so my plan of starting this on Wednesday had to be abandoned. I only started four hours before the CC deadline, and so the poor gentleman had to be jettisoned. 

I added some deep red highlights to give this a little more punch - just the champagne and the skintones gave an overall effect that was just a bit too beige for my liking. There is also a tiny bit of electric purple in the highlights, because I believe in opposite colours. 

I was heavily inspired by the gorgeous work of Coles Phillips. I love his use of negative space:

 

Images from Jennie's Timeline

I'd quite like to do more pictures like this, it was good fun!

Adobe Photoshop CC 2015 on a Wacom Cintiq Companion 2. 

2 comments:

  1. I just found your site because I wanted to make my Doctor Who loving brother a Tom Baker Doctor felted pin to wear to a Whovian picnic tomorrow and saw yours. It is adorable. Then I was checking out your site. You are just such a talented and creative person. I hope you know that and people admire you work. I love this pic, it reminds me of old Hollywood and pin curls. Just beautiful and your choice of colors is perfect. Keep rockin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your very lovely comment! I'm so glad you like my work. =) I really couldn't resist going old Hollywood with this illustration - the colour was too perfect for it!

      Did you end up making a pin? If you ever post it anywhere I would love to see!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...