Thursday, March 3, 2011

Studies: Franz Marc

A couple of studies in preparation for an upcoming commission. 
The commissioner wants a horse, and would like it to reflect the style of Franz Marc – so practice is needed to emulate Marc's paintings using watercolour. 


These are studies of Horse in a Landscape (1910) and The Large Red Horses (1911)
Click on the image to get it larger, if you want to read my scrawled notes. And yes, I usually leave my studies unfinished. =P 

I've come to the conclusion that using coloured pencil over my watercolours is the way to go – it gives a more solid result which fits better with the style. However, I'll need to do the final on Bristol Board; I used Eraldo di Paolo medium tooth paper for these studies, and it's much too rough to take pencil.

Winsor & Newton watercolours, Prismacolour pencils (on bottom study) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...