Saturday, April 2, 2011

Sketch: Jorinda

A little character sketch. I'm reading Joan Aiken's Midwinter Nightingale, and this is Jorinda. I'm only halfway through the book, but she appears to not be a particularly nice character, and also not to be entirely sane – but I was taken with the image of someone sitting in a train carriage with a Siamese. 


My costuming is a bit off – I learned after I'd inked this that the setting should be somewhere around 1838-40ish. But it's an alternative universe.... maybe I can blame it on that. =P Also, I clearly should not try to draw Siamese without a reference. That is definitely a wonky cat. 

This isn't actually based on any one quote (and I took artistic licence anyway, as the cat should be in a cage) but here's one that fits:
"The girl who came in gave him an intent, considering look, half frowning, half friendly, before settling herself in the diagonal corner with a swish and a flounce of dark brown velvet skirts and a twitch of her long fur driving coat. She neatly aligned her feet in well-polished boots and the, when she had made herself thoroughly comfortable, gave Simon another long, shrewd scrutiny. [...] Her hair was dark and short and curved close about her head under a fur cap. Her round freckled face was not pretty – her pink cheeks were too plump, her nose and mouth too big – but she looked lively and keen, dimples showed in her cheeks and a pair of dark grey eyes laughed at Simon as she settled a foreign-looking cat in a cage on the seat beside her."        (pg 8-9)

PITT artist's pens (one S, one B) in sepia in a Jasart 'My Memoirs' sketchbook. 
About 1 to 1.5 hours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...