Thursday, August 4, 2011

Sketch: Marguerite Blakeney

A little sketch for relaxation. I spent a lot of today preparing files for print and uploading them to a printer, and most of the remainder working on a commissioned illustration.... until I realised that I'd made a glaring error and would really have to start all over again. Fortunately the necessity of cooking tea prevented me from jumping off the nearest cliff, but I didn't feel like going back to work on it once I'd finished with the print-uploading today. 

So, here we have Marguerite Blakeney, of the Scarlet Pimpernel novels. She gets on my nerves because despite being described as 'the cleverest woman in Europe' more than once, she's actually incredibly dim, especially once you get past the first novel. Said 'cleverest woman' should not be continually walking into traps... unless the entire female population of Europe at the time was infinitely less clever, which I find hard to believe!* =P 


So here I am taking out my frustration on this extremely frustrating character. Also, I needed to redraw her from the last sketch, as I discovered that she's blonde. Too many screen adaptations, that's what it is! She's always a brunette in those. 

Oh, and if French is not your thing, the thought bubble reads 'empty'.

About 45 minutes, grey marker (and a hint of pencil) in a Jasart 'My Memoirs' A5 sketchbook. 

*Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the books – a little over-the-top melodrama never hurt anyone. I just wish that Marguerite would stay unconscious for longer when she fainted/got knocked out/fell asleep of fatigue/etc. =P

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...