Saturday, September 12, 2015

Illustration: Stella by Starlight

This week, Colour Collective was 'Phthalo Blue' - a lovely rich deep colour. I chose to use the 1940s song Stella by Starlight, music by Victor Young, lyrics by Ned Washington as my inspiration this week:


Have you seen Stella by starlight
Standing alone, moon in her hair?
Have you seen Stella by starlight
When have you known rapture so rare?

The song a robin sings
Through years of endless springs.
The murmur of a brook at even' tide
That ripples by a nook where two lovers hide.

A great symphonic theme
That's Stella by starlight
And not a dream.
My heart and I agree, 
She's everything on earth to me.


Really, I just wanted an excuse to base an illustration around this dress, because it's gorgeous:

I don't know who designed this, I found it on Pinterest, here.
I wish I'd been able to do the sparkles properly, instead of resorting the scatter brush setting, but my drawing arm is not at all happy right now, and complained when I tried to draw each sparkle individually. So scatter brush it was.

Here are the six I have done in this series so far. I think my favourite is still 'A Sleepy Lagoon':


Adobe Photoshop CC 2015 on a Wacom Cintiq Companion 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...