Sunday, March 10, 2019

Baby Cards!

I always like to do special hand painted cards for babies - such a special occasion, it warrants a bit more effort on my part! - and in February we had TWO babies arrive, just over 24 hours apart, so I got out my paints and made these two cards:

The first card was for my friend Tilly, and baby number 2, a daughter - she now has a son and a daughter, plus a husband and two dogs, so they're a perfect little family!

I'd bought the baby presents well ahead of time, just before Christmas - our local toyshop was closing down (nooo!) so we went in and grabbed some bargains - and I'd unintentionally gone all owl-themed. So I thought I'd go for broke and put an owl on the card as well:


The second card was for my eldest cousin Claire, and her third daughter, who arrived the next day. I stuck with flowers for this card. Roses are quick to draw, and I had such a lot of work on I didn't want to be spending ages working on this:


Both cards took about 45 minutes and were done in Winsor and Newton watercolours, Pentel Brush Pens, Copic Multiliners, Kuretake Touch of Stellar pens and some metallic watercolours with no visible brand, that I bought at a lovely art shop in Singapore.

Head below the cut for time-lapse video of me painting both cards, along with some sketches and a closer look at the shimmery metallic paints that aren't really visible in the above photos!




I filmed the painting of both cards and posted the videos to Instagram. You'll need to click through to watch the videos and see the shimmer:



And here are the initial sketches I did. For my friend's card I used Procreate on my father's iPad Pro - I had borrowed it because I knew I would be waiting at the chiropractor and wanted to make the most effective use of my time without lugging around my huge tablet. It took a little more time than planned because I couldn't quite make up my mind what I wanted it to look like. And the other sketch I did in Photoshop on my Wacom Mobile Studio.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...